Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Funny women

So I'm up late as usual - not very well, so I rang up ScotMid to get tommorrow morning off, if there's one thing I hate it's ringing in sick. Don't get me wrong, skiving work is one of my favourite pasttimes -it's like being at the end of your life and then someone comes in and gives you 5 extra hours with which to do something super fun. ( I will probably get up late and then spend the morning reading the observer)

It's just doing the phoning that I hate. Possibly because last time I did it one trainee manager shouted at me, had the nerve to imply that I had a hangover ( which is the last thing you want to hear when you are hungover) . That and there is this work ethic at slave labour jobs, such as supermarkets, which dictates that nothing less than rabies or the plague is a good excuse.

Anyway here I am faffing around on the net till this painkiller caffine wears off - on www.thefword.org.uk which is a really good website full of funny/interesting feminstic articles, which mostly confirm my opinions ( you know, that all men should be put in cages and made to apologise for patriarchy at half hour intervals and bake us chocolate cakes, while we set about putting the world back together and growing our armpit hair)

and I stumble upon a slightly depressing article in the independent

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article341715.ece

Apparently funny women just aren't hot. Despite the fact that funny men can get girls like nobody's buisness, the same is just not true for female comedians :-

"Men see being funny as a male thing," explained Dr Rod Martin
Hundreds of men and women in their twenties were questioned. Asked if they found a sense of humour to be attractive in women, most men said yes. But when they were asked if they would want to be with a woman who cracked jokes herself, the answer was a resounding no.

"When forced to choose between humour production and humour appreciation in potential partners, women valued humour production, whereas men valued receptivity to their own humour," said Dr Martin.

As someone who considers herself a humour producer ( as well as a receiver) and also a straight single woman this would seem to be bad news. Apparently Meera Syal would tone down her humour when chatting up blokes , and Oriane Messina ( of radio 4 - no I hadn't heard of her either) says she tempers her humour around attractive men, and considered lying about her job whilst speed dating ( which is probably a prerequisite of speed dating.... erm not that I'd know)

I read another article in vanity fair which suggested that women aren't funny because we have babies, having babies being a very serious matter which completely wears out the funny bones of women. This I find quite ridiculous - if you are going to push a living thing out of your private parts you need a sense of humour in my book.

So then what is to be done about this ? Frankly I have no idea - I'd like to think it isn't true, that really men all have secret crushes on Jennifer Saunders, Lucy Porter,Meera Syal. However unfortunately experience leads me to think otherwise....

Some sort of scheme perhaps, to put all men in cages and only let out the ones who will agree to fancy funny women, after they have baked me a massive cake and admired my new armpit-haircut of course.

No comments: